People are pretty stupid. You have to admit it, the human race as a whole is not something to be proud of. Sure we have the philosophers and greats throughout history but they are few and far between. Here are five ways being stupid can cost you money.
- Speeding. This should be pretty obvious but like I said people are stupid. I’m not saying I never speed. I am human, after all. But the people I am talking about here are the people that are going 95 on the freeway, weaving in and out of lanes. The people passing others on the shoulder going 25 over the posted limit in a construction zone. Speeding tickets are ridiculously expensive so don’t be stupid. Go 5 miles over like the rest of us!
- Bouncing Checks. So you have $20 left in your checking account but you really want to help those Girl Scouts that just came by selling cookies and one box won’t satisfy, so you write a check for twelve boxes. If they deposit that check before you hit the bank, that’s gonna cost ya the sum of $70 for the cookies and overdraft fee. It’s probably best if you just buy yourself a “No Soliciting” sign and never leave the house, because you have no self control.
- Impulse Buying. Retailers know people are stupid. Placing stuff at the cash register, especially small items with a big price tag, plays right into this and says “hey, look how shiny this crap is! You probably just forgot to put this LED flashlight hat, tiny digital camera key-chain or universal remote on your grocery list, so we’ve saved you the trouble and put the crap right here in reach of your small children!”. It would probably be best to make a list and stick to it if you find yourself leaning towards purchasing these things.
- Defaulting on promotions. Bob just got that new credit card he signed up for at 0% interest but didn’t really feel like skimming over the details. Bob is stupid. Not because he didn’t read the promo fine print but because he forgot to pay his new credit card bill and his 0% interest rate just went up…to 35%. Nice going Bob. Defaulting on a promotion is the quickest way to start a financial bleed.
- Smoking. So what if it causes cancer and contains the same chemicals as urine, rat poison, anti-freeze, batteries, rocket fuel, embalming fluid, pesticide, dynamite, and gasoline. It’s way cool! Congratulations..you’re stupid! You’re also costing yourself quite a bit of money in the process just purchasing this stuff, not to mention any medical problems that will invariably arise in the future from it. But not only are you killing yourself in every which way, you choose to roll down your window as you smoke, sharing it with every car behind you. Thanks! As if I don’t have enough problems.
Got any to add to the list? It’s surely not limited to 5 😉 br>
Tags: bouncing checks, boxes, checking account, construction zone, crap, flashlight, freeway, girl scouts, grocery list, impulse buying, interest rate, key chain, overdraft fee, philosophers, price tag, promotions, self control, speeding tickets, tiny digital camera, ya