This week I had the chance to review and giveaway a copy of Secrets of a Stingy Scoundrel: 100 Dirty Little Money-Grubbing Secrets. The book was great, but what I really enjoyed was reading through your comments about your own stingy secrets. Here is a list of all the tips I collected during my giveaway as well as some I found interesting from around the web.
Comments from our neck of the woods:
- Jane collects dryer lint to start fires. When she runs out of link, she hits the laundromats to collect.
- Mary Roberts glues freebie magnets to the back of plastic cases to display photos on the fridge.
- Mother Nature sticks around after church events to clean up all the leftovers. (my mom, it runs in the family 😉 )
- Cheapskate Sandy takes condiments and napkins from fast food places to use at home.
- E.C. mooches off his brothers student only access to the university library system.
- Jen and Corrin pack lunches every day to save on the cost of eating out.
- Ashley squeezes every last ounce of usefulness out of her cosmetics by microwaving mascara and watering down body wash.
A few from me:
- Stuff towels in all the crevices of your home such as between low cabinets, next to the fridge and under doors. Crevices cool down air flowing around the house and stopping them up will reduce heating costs.
- For shipping or moving, hit the back of grocery stores for their excess boxes.
- Water down hand soap when its “empty”. Just add some water and give it a shake, it will last a few more weeks.
- If you buy a lot of milk, buy some skim milk and use it after the other jugs. Skim last much longer even a few weeks past the expiration.
- If you have some cheese that’s about to go south, grate it and freeze it. The texture changes slightly if thawed and eaten, but when cooked its identical.
And some from around the web:
- Lulu does a little flirting to get free topping or discounts.
- Michelle uses her companies
- David sneaks pop into sporting events to save on the cost of concessions.
- Damon Day talks about mixing gas grades to get an average that is cheaper than the middle grade costs.
- Dave Campbell has his girlfriend foot the bill at dinner even though he’s got dough in the bank.
- QC Watchdog refills and reseals water bottles so they look like new, and his wife is none the wiser.
- Emily furnishes her home with throw aways.
- Mrs. Accountability discusses her grandmother only flushing once a day…
- Fabulously Broke gives tips on getting free second-hand shoes.
Yea some of those are a bit much for me..but hey, if it saves ya money and you can deal with it, go for it. A big thanks to everyone for sharing their secrets.
Tags: body wash, condiments, crevices, dryer lint, food places, free topping, glues, grate, hand soap, jugs, laundromats, leftovers, napkins, neck of the woods, pack lunches, scoundrel, texture changes, university library system, water down, web comments